Friday, March 25, 2011

Weekend Reading


For this weekend reading, I decided to recommend something that I myself haven't read! I was completely inspired last weekend when a very dear friend of mine brilliantly acted in an adaptation of this play. This play was written by Eve Ensler and was originally performed as a solo act by Ensler herself. Since then, it has exploded into an international production. Now, there is a worldwide movement called V-Day, which raises money for women's anti-violence groups through productions of the play. (The rendition I saw donated 100% of the profits for V-Day). The play is made up of various stories by women of all races and ages. It is clever, witty, sad, honest, and eye-opening. It deals with rape, sex, love, menstruation, childbirth, terminology, etc. Being a mom myself, I teared up during the childbirth monologue. They also managed to have the whole audience chanting the dreaded C-word. (Something I don't think I have ever uttered out loud!) So get out there and either read this book or attend a local production and raise money and awareness to protect women all over the world!

4 comments:

Sassy B. said...

Great recommendation!

When I was in grad school, I used to be a judge for speech tournaments. Students would sometimes perform pieces from this play. I've never read it or seen the entire production. I bet it's very powerful.

I'm reading "So Much Pretty" by Cara Hoffman this weekend. I can see why it's getting attention.

Banan Appealing said...

I refuse to read books about vaginas. But I saw Eve perform this on one of those PBS things. I was very sad when she died.
Is the dreaded C word cancer or c*nt?

Levi said...

I have uttered the C word. WERD!
Do you really think it will protect women all over the world?

Christy said...

It may not protect all women but it will help for sure. V-Day has created safe houses in Narok, Kenya; Port au Prince, Haiti; Pine Ridge Reservation and Yankton Sioux Reservation, South Dakota; Cairo, Egypt; Baghdad, Iraq and Bukavu, etc., where women can heal and seek safety.