Friday, April 22, 2011

Weekend Review

So instead of recommending a book this weekend, I thought I would recommend this miniseries that I just finished watching and boy was it an emotional journey! There is nothing negative to say about Kate Winslet... she is as lovely and real as ever in the role of Mildred Pierce. The miniseries is based on the 1941 novel by James M. Cain. I have not read it but have heard that the HBO adaptation stays very true to the original story. There is SO much I could say about this story but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is thinking about watching it. The story takes place in Glendale, CA in the 1930s. I loved the setting as I live in Southern California and it was great to see the cities that I am familiar with recreated in the past. The basic story is that Mildred Pierce is a young mother of two girls left by her husband and forced to become a working mom to feed her family during hard economic times. She ends up having to take a waitressing job but eventually works her way up into becoming a fairly successful business woman. She meets some friends along the way and has a few romantic relationships, but the reoccuring drama is Mildred's relationship with her eldest daughter Veda. Oh, Veda, Veda, Veda! So much to say about Veda but for now I will just say that the character of Veda will shock you beyond belief and the dynamic between mother and daughter is what makes this story so compelling. Check it out!

8 comments:

Lee said...

Kate Winslet is such a gifted actress. I'd like to watch this too. Wonder if it's available from netflix yet...

I saw some photos at the National Portrait Gallery recently from the orignial Mildred Pierce film. Love the look of that era.

Levi said...

This was a great mini-series. My sister said she started watching it and thought to herself "what's the point?" which irritated me because there doesn't always need to be a point. Kate Winslet was fantastic in her performance as were the other actors especially her daughter.

Babbling Banana said...

What's the point? That is a difficult question. We could ask that of any film or book. I think the point was a glimpse into the life of a woman who struggled so hard to be the ideal mother and yet constantly failed despite it all. It was a reflection into the 1930s and what life meant for women at that time...

Levi said...

I wanted to smack my sister. I love her regardless but seriously you're right. What's the point of anything if you have to ask what's the point of this wonderful dramatic performance from these talented actors. Why bother existing? Go to bed and be done.

Babbling Banana said...

Why bother existing? hahahaha! Well said Janell! :)

Sassy B. said...

Babbling Banana, I noticed your new banana blogger icon. Groovy. I love it.

shrink on the couch said...

Love period pieces, especially featuring realistic struggles of real women. What's the point is identifying with the struggle. What's the point is appreciating the plight of women trying to make it when the man in their life abandons a family. What's the point is relating to a mother who keeps running into a brick wall.

quite a mouthful coming from someone who hasn't read the book nor seen the series, huh?

Levi said...

Yogurt...loved your point. Very pointy!