Friday, April 15, 2011

Weekend Reading

So I am a little embarrassed to admit it, but I have followed the recent vampire/zombie literature revival. I love the mash-up novels like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I have read more of them than I am willing to say. Overall, they are cheesy and silly but quite entertaining. However, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is a step above the rest. It honestly reads like a historical fiction novel with the "vampire" drama expertly interwoven within the events. Seth Grahame-Smith is actually a great author and this novel manages to come off so historically true that I had to keep reminding myself that it was a fictional story! I absolutely love the incorporation of old photographs where you can decipher hidden vampires among the crowd. Oh, and the scenes with Edgar Allan Poe were simply brilliant! You will also learn some true facts about Lincoln, who suffered a pretty tragic life. I guess Hollywood wants a piece of this vampire craze as well. They are currently working on the film version of this novel and Trent Reznor is going to be doing the music as well as playing the part of Jack Barts. I am intrigued already!

1 comment:

Lee said...

I was just at the Lincoln Memorial and was disappointed to see not a single molecule of acknowledgement of Mr. Lincoln's vampire hunting skills.

BTW - Seems like there are all of a sudden, many books & films with "Lincoln" in their titles.