Friday, April 8, 2011

Weekend Reading


The fabulous Sassy B. sent me a copy of this book in the mail. I read it in one weekend. I had to literally pry my fingers off the book! Interpreter of Maladies is a collection of nine short stories, but they blend and interconnect beautifully... it feels like a novel. This book is an emotional rollercoaster. It opens with "A Temporary Matter," which tells the story of a young couple dealing with the loss of an infant. My husband and I endured a similar tragedy in our lives and the deep river of grief that we felt was portrayed so accurately by Lahiri's story. My favorite tale was "This Blessed House" where a newly married couple buys a home and begins to discover hidden Christian items in mysterious places throughout the old house. It was lighthearted and playful and a great contrast to the other more serious stories. Lahiri does a wonderful job of mixing Indian and American culture through descriptions of food, clothing, attitudes, social and political events, etc. It's a great weekend read!



6 comments:

Levi said...

This is a great book. She is a fantastic author/storyteller. Beautiful writing.

Lee said...

She's my favorite author. I have not yet read "The Namesake," but really enjoyed the movie.

I'm still reading "A Visit From the Goon Squad" -- very good.

BTW - Saw Jane Eyre in DC. Have you seen it yet? Mia Wasikowska was fantastic.

Have a great weekend!

Banan Appealing said...

Love this author! She is a lovely writer. I've read everything she has written. I wish she would write more.

Babbling Banana said...

I was not feeling well at all last weekend and did not get to see Jane Eyre! The hubby wants to take me this weekend so hopefully I can write a review next week!

blaire said...

Haven't read this author, I don't think. Will need to put on my books-to-get list.

Alexandra said...

I finished this book last year. I found it out of sheer serendipity at a rummage sale.

She writes beautifully.